Batik Industries in Pekalongan City

  1. There are 16 batik production centers in Pekalongan City.
  2. There are 96 motifs known as pekalongan traditional batik.
  3. Besides batik production, there are other small industry productions such as canting production village (batik maker tool) in Landungsari village.
  4. In term of raw material distribution such as mori (white cloth), the basic production material of batik, most of the producer bought it from another city in Central Java like Batang, Semarang, and Magelang. Some others imprted it from China. Mori factory in Pekalongan City cannot supply mori for batik producers because many of the textile company there has already gone bankrupt, and in order to stimulate it production again need a lot of money, where the local government can not provide.
  5. China, UEA, USA, and Europe are some export destination of pekalongan batik although the distribution still using the traditional system, where every producer sell their own product. Each company has their own export patner, there isn’t any organization that manage those export activities. Here, the local government role is conducting training and workshop to increase the number of production and giving management skills. At first, there are only 40% from the total batik producer participated in this training, now the number has been increased to 80%.
  6. Weather is the only problem that usually found by batik producers, because weather influencing the number of production and processes. Many producer found it difficult to create the same color as before because of unstable weather condition. So in the end it will be affected on the sales too.
  7. In term of technology, today, the local government of Pekalongan still trying to develop a modern machine to do plorot process in batik production process which is initially done by some high school students in Pekalongan City.
  8. 90% of Batik industry activities in Pekalongan city are mostly are family industries which means the management and production owned and inherit by family member.
  9. In case of labor, 80% of batik labors in pekalongan are taken from neighbourhood area of Pekalongan City especially from south. And the rest 20% are local labor from the
  10. Along with the rapid development of batik industry, a batik academy was built called batik polytechnic.
  11. In order to sustaining batik industry as one of important economic activity in Pekalongan, there are some strategy that coordinated by local government such as innovation in production process so the efficiency would be increased and also training program including design training. The trainer mainly comes from Jogjakarta (balai besar kerajinan batik) and some other come from Bandung.
  12. Business discussion held with some big company owner from pekalongan such as sutrisno bachir to develop batik industries.
  13. Local government effort to support batik industry accomodated by some policies such as managing batik business group, developing batik industry center, and developing distribution network by participate in some expo and exhibition. Subsidies are given to them who would like to participate in the
  14. Today, batik industries in Pekalongan City has bigger production compare to another popular batik production such as Solo City and Jogjakarta.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s